I’ve been going by “DeadTOm” online, mostly for gaming purposes, since the late 1990’s. I’m a gen-x, professional computer nerd, mediocre programmer, occasional photographer, video and tabletop gamer, ordained Dudeist minister, dad to two male nerdlings, and husband-like figure to an amazing woman.
I’m an advocate for free and open source software, and a Linux user since 1997. My current distribution of choice is Debian. My household has been Windows free since 2008. If you want to learn more about Linux, I suggest you start here.
I play a lot of pen and paper role playing games, and video games. I tinker with electronics, and I have a lot of home built devices around my house, performing various tasks. We camp as often as possible when the weather permits, and I post photos of our adventures on my Flickr page.
Other places you can find me:
- Twitter – I swear and rant a lot here.
- Jabber/XMPP – firstname.lastname@example.org Decentralized chat.
- Roll20 – I play RPGs here.
- Flickr – I had a pro account for about ten years, was very active, then just sort of lost interest in it. I’m trying to rekindle that with this new account, trying to post photos of my every day life.
- I’m on Facebook, but only to keep up with family and local events. I don’t particularly like Facebook. I keep my profile private. If I don’t know you, I’m probably not going to add you. If I do know you, I probably still won’t add you. If I have already added you, odds are that I won’t notice anything you’ve tagged me in or posted to or about me, because I only check very specific things once or twice a month, and I rarely ever look at my notifications.
- I also spend a lot of time on Freenode (IRC), under the name “DeadTOm”, mostly in various tech/nerd channels.