I’ve been going by “DeadTOm” online, mostly for gaming purposes, since the late 1990’s. I’m a gen-x, professional computer nerd, mediocre programmer, occasional photographer, video and tabletop gamer, ordained Dudeist minister, dad to two male nerdlings, and husband-like figure to an amazing woman.
I’m an advocate for free and open source software, and a Linux user since 1997. My current distro of choice is Debian. I use Windows at work, but only because they make me. At home, we’ve been Windows free since 2008. My partner and our kids are quite happy with Linux. It is a perfectly viable alternative to Windows.
For more information about Linux, and why you should be using it, go to whylinuxisbetter.net.
Other places you can find me:
- Steam – l play a lot of games.
- Twitch – I have a sorely neglected Twitch account that I plan to start streaming to once in a while, just for fun. It might suck.
- Twitter – I swear and rant a lot here.
- Jabber/XMPP – email@example.com Decentralized chat.
- Roll20 – I play RPGs here.
- Planet Minecraft – I play what is probably an unhealthy amount of Minecraft. I run a vanilla, survival, whitelist server for friends and family. If we’re friends and you’d like to play, get hold of me.
- Flickr – I had a pro account for about ten years, was very active, then just sort of lost interest in it. I’m trying to rekindle that with this new account, trying to post photos of my every day life.
- Diaspora – You can find me on Diaspora at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I’m on Facebook, but only to keep up with family and local events. I don’t particularly like Facebook. I keep my profile private. If I don’t know you, I’m probably not going to add you. If I do know you, I probably still won’t add you. If I have already added you, odds are that I won’t notice anything you’ve tagged me in or posted to or about me, because I only check very specific things once or twice a month, and I rarely ever look at my notifications.
- I also spend a lot of time on Freenode (IRC), under the name “DeadTOm”, mostly in various tech/nerd channels, trying to help out where I can.
You can email me at email@example.com. If you know what gpg is and how to use it, I’d prefer that you did. You can find my public key here.